Monday, 14 February 2011

Being Alone

I haven’t written a blog in ages. I am really terrible at this entire thing.

I think the reason is mostly because the things that I have to say can be - and usually are - summed up in a series of tweets. If you are reading this and you don't follow me on twitter, please do. I am literally on there for at least 12 hours every day.

Anyway, it's Valentine's Day today.

And I'm not going to say that I hate it as you might expect, because I don't think that I do. In fact, when I had a boyfriend, I really loved Valentine's Day.
I’m single this year though, so there isn't anything to look forward to in all honesty. Nothing. Except seeing big bouquets of flowers and huge boxes of chocolates everywhere, knowing full well that nobody is going to buy me any of them.

But that’s all fine.

What’s currently bothering me is that this entire time of year seems to hoodwink me into thinking that I need a boyfriend. And I’ll tell you something – I actually bloody don’t.

The reality of the situation is that I don’t want a boyfriend. And if I did get one, it would be worth asking why on earth they were going out with someone as unstable as myself. It would be a bit like when Adnan Ghalib started going out with Britney – we all knew he was a bad egg, because she was off her rocker.

I also think that, currently, I quite like being left to my own devices. For example, sometimes when I am by myself, I get a bit bored and wish for someone to talk to. But when that person turns up, I generally find myself wishing them away again so that I can play Sims 3.

And relationships are a bit like that too. Having a boyfriend or a girlfriend seems like a brilliant idea… until you actually get one. When you get one, you have to spend time with them, and make yourself look nice, and be interesting and funny and charming. When you don’t have one, you can do whatever you like.

It’s really that simple.

So there. Another vague and mostly pointless blog, with a sneaky Britney reference. And here is an obnoxious little thought to get you through Valentine's Day and, indeed, through life: If you need a boyfriend to feel good about yourself, then you might want to consider counselling. Or perhaps a blog.


x