Wednesday, 19 October 2011

Boy With Guitar

I met a boy today.

He’s handsome, clever, talented, charming, well-dressed and just amazing.

Unfortunately, he probably thinks I am a psychopath.

To begin...

My third-floor window looks out onto a courtyard. It’s busy during the day, but eerily quiet at night. I'm surrounded by other students, but my light is almost always the last one to be turned off.

When you’re a night person, like I always have been, you get used to being the only one awake.

On my second night back at university, I was up until it started getting light outside. Everyone else had gone to bed early after a busy day, but I was wide awake. At one point in the night, boredom got the better of me, and I was about to give up and go to sleep. Just as I was about to do so, however, I heard a guitar outside my window.

A boy with a creased blue hoody, long messy hair and one of those i-play-outside skintones was sat in the middle of the courtyard, strumming a guitar and singing.

I will give you a moment to gather your thoughts.

Since then, he’s been back a few times. Always in the dead of night when I am the only person for miles who is mad enough to be awake. Once, he sang one of my favourite songs, you know. I don't hear it very often, but I can recognise it from the very first note. Acoustic #3 by the Goo Goo Dolls. That song makes me ache, it’s so beautiful.

Swoon.

I tried to get my friend to stay up with me the other night so that she could see him. It felt a bit like we were ghosthunting, partly because the entire situation was so ridiculous, but mostly because I was starting to wonder if I was imagining him. In the end, she chose to believe that I was hideously deluded and went on her way.

Silly girl.

A couple of nights ago, in a change to the usual one-man show, his friends were with him. It was much earlier than usual, and they sat around him, not really paying attention. He didn’t sing much though.

What he did do, however, was look up at exactly the moment when I had leaned out of my window to stare at him. A bashful wave from me and a glorious smile from him later, we were back to where we started.

Today, though. TODAY. Oh, today.

“Oh! Hello! Aren’t you the boy who plays guitar near Grad Bar?” I squeaked at this impossibly attractive man when I stumbled across him in a queue.

That’s right. There he was.

I hate to tell you this, but I was not looking my best. I had – moments earlier – been caught in a rainstorm that seemed to be aimed almost entirely at me personally. I looked as though I was melting into my own giant cardigan.

The boy with the guitar had also got wet in the aforementioned rain, but the effect on his appearance was nothing if not positive.

“I think so.” He answered, looking appropriately terrified.

I said some other things after that. I wish I knew what they were, but sadly I don’t. I could quite literally have said ANYTHING to him.

I am holding on to the hope that whatever I said couldn’t have been too bad though, because “You should come and say hello next time!” were his parting words.

It would be brilliant if this turned into a Great Romance, wouldn’t it? Really brilliant.

I am highly doubtful though.

x